Monday, July 27, 2009

Joy and tears

Mix the inability to sing with a gagged self-consciousness and you get a deadly, or at least deaf-ly concoction.

You get me, too.

Had my virgin karaoke session with Bry, Vic (she's leaving for Aus! *WAILS*), Kelv, Jee and Pauline and I had these cool peeps to thank for the eye-opening, as well as ear-drums ripping experience. I never knew discovering that I lack the ability to keep on tune can be so fun. I should do more of such self-discoveries (they are already talking about an ice-skating session, which I would inevitably meet my two left feet. Blood will spill, mostly on my part. Can’t wait!)

The best part is this karaoke session charged through my stereotypes of what “singing K” is all about, leaving me high and dry (poor throat, traumatized by the sudden rush of unfamiliar work it had to undertake today). I always thought karaoke is a bit cheesy, and consists of a few people in a room swinging their bodies left and right to overplayed hits. The reality, of course, is not very much different – save for the fact that in our room, it was much cheesier, way more swinging than was healthy for our age, and the overplayed hits generally oversang.

I screeched more than I sang. It was too fun to be polite. Sorry, hons, that your ears had to go through such atrocity such as my voice. Next time, I’ll bring everyone earplugs – with colours that match the “mike-doms” of course =P

Note to gang - we gotta do this again! You can’t possibly let me sing “Hot and Cold” and “Wannabe” only once. And I haven’t had enough of that Mika falsetto yet!




On a somber note:

“Too lazy lah”

This is the only quote from Yasmin Ahmad which I remember – it was published a while ago, when the reporter asked Yasmin why didn’t they correct the lighting in Sepet, as some complained that the lighting was too dark in certain scenes.

And Yasmin answered along the lines of, “Lazy lah.”

When it came from Yasmin, it was not an excuse. It was honesty, confidence, and a refreshing surprise – just like her movies and her advertisements. It was Malaysian, through and through.

We lost her today. May we never lose her spirit.

Rest in peace, Yasmin Ahmad.

And in the spirit of Malaysia:

The Love of Tan Hong Ming
(By Yasmin Ahmad and the team of Leo Burnett)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:S wah ... can't imagine you like to sing -k...firt time kah? If you like next time can bring you there lar. can bring RM. And RB. And i will come pick you guys up when you are done.Enjoy.

Hafutota no JE said...

Yasmin Ahmad will be sorely missed... One of Malaysia's greatest and most daring storytellers.

That said, I have nothing else to look forward to in M'sian cinemas now

teh ais limei said...

>> Sis

If i'm to sit through 3 hours of teresa teng and fei yu ching, i won't let you escape too... XD


>> Jee

Well, you can always look forward to "Up" :) of course, its not the same as Yasmin Ahmad. but still, at least its got a too damn adorable korean boy.