Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Day before I Leap

I think I need to write this down. Even though I have only approximately 10 seconds to spare. And even though I'm having the biggest writer's block that you can carve the Lady of Liberty out of my brain and still have enough to repair, err, whatever it is that's needed to be repaired in our country. There's always something.

This feeling, this nervewrecking sensation of the day before flying long-distance for the very first time - one only gets to experience this once in one's lifetime (I did warn you about the writer's block). So I gotta write it down, in the hope that one day I can look back and laugh at myself.

If I can still laugh at that time.

For the first time in my life, I have zero idea on what is going to happen next week. I have always known. Always. But now, my mind is a blank. My imagination, which usually runs on overdrive (though sadly, in useless directions), has failed me.

Mum took me to eat hawker food just now. I stared at the Malaysians around me, with their feet up on the chair, their clothes mismatched and their table manners going the direction of their spits. I looked at the unwashed vegetables being thrown into the wok and stir-fried in too much oil for our consumption and possibly, constipation. I looked at the pirated DVD peddler counting his stock (omg he still has Toy Story 2). I looked at workers with various nationality preparing our food at the many stalls, and wondered if Malaysians realise that if we piss off migrant workers too much we may find ourselves swimming in a nationwide food poisoning (pardon the choice of words).

I tried replacing all these images with my impression on what America would look like.

That caused a headache.

And a heartache.

I will miss Malaysia. But I will always be a Malaysian.

I have vowed that wherever I stand, that spot of ground is occupied by a Malaysian.

Should I forget this one day, do give my head a good knocking. But do explain why afterwards, or I may get too American and decide to sue your pants off.

Please take good care of yourself, everyone! Enjoy yourself and we'll be in touch!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hello Li mei ! it's me - Lobak :) stumbled upon your blog some time ago and have been keeping track on your latest happenings ...and you are leaving for US very very soon !! Wishing you a pleasant stay and I'm sure you'll find yourself eventually ... All the best ya !

teh ais limei said...

Hi Lobak! Thanks for your wishes! Haven't hear from you for a while! How have u been?

So I'm in the States now. Still finding time to find myself XD But everything's pretty good so I'm thankful. Take care gal!~