Monday, August 9, 2010

Written amidst childish screams

“So, what did you do before you came to the States?”

I always tell people that I’m a writer. But judging by the situation of late, I may be lying.

I’m no writer. I’m Having Written.

The distinction between the two? The former is haunted by deadlines, while the latter is just haunted – by the past and all its glories.

Not that I wrote anything particularly glorious. But like all haunted beings we cling on to whatever sliver of the bygones we can find.

I have no time to write. I tell myself that, in the hope that a full schedule can occupy the emptiness of my pages. Who has time to write when you’re so busy living? I didn’t travel all the way to the States to hole in my room and slouch in front of the computer.

Or so I told myself, while the hollowness within my heart spreads and spreads.

The truth is, I have no time to think. I jam-packed my life, not willing to slow down for the fear that every moment unlived is a moment wasted. I have done, see, feel and do so many new things for the past few weeks, but I did not take my time to chew at them and savour their succulence.

I’m a gobbler. I did not digest. Perhaps that is why I don’t feel fulfilled, just stuffed – like a toy with cotton for brains.

I read a line somewhere – Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about (yeah it took me a while to figure out this triple-negative sentence, but it’s just as well because now it is ingrained in my head).

I need to keep writing. Chapter 23 needs meaningful prose, not unintelligible scribbles.

1 comment:

kiyaa said...

You're right, the triple negative sentence is quite hard to grasp. It's awesome that you made it clearer to me why it's so difficult to get, immediately after writing the quote!

About the gobbling/digesting part, well. Sometimes we gotta gobble and hope at some point when our minds slow down the filters will work its magic and hopefully we'll spit out something useful.

This might be off tangent but I always get annoyed at people who make a stop at every small scenery they see and snap photos. I think it's important to live the moment, because if you're not careful you miss out.

What do we really have other than now, anyway?

Oh I think I'm blabbering romanticised ideals instead of practical solutions here, probably because I have not slept all night. The night does strange things to people!Blablablablablaaaa