Saturday, June 21, 2008

Humbled Un-Birthday

Today is the last day of my twentieth year.

I admit, I had expectations. It was painted by the world’s insistence that the 21st birthday should be the most ass-kicking birthday ever, and framed with my somewhat shameless imagination of what constitutes ass-kicking.

However, I did not plan anything. One reason was that I was boggled with some personal problems before this, and by the time it was resolved I discovered it was kinda late to make any concrete plans. Everyone has obligations already for the weekend. Another reason was that I was kinda tired of planning. Really, I just thought I will, for once, see how things will turn out if I go with the flow.

Turns out that was a darn cocky and stupid thing to do for my 21st birthday.

As the movie Stranger than Fiction taught me, if you don’t do something about life, then don’t complain when life has its ways on you. In my case, life just sort of laughed at my face. On top of bummers like most of my friends are tied for the weekend, Baby’s mum got sick and he has to cancel our dinner tonight to care for Auntie.

I chuckled silently to myself, turned on my inner water tap and prayed hard that Auntie will get well and healthy soon.

I understand that it wasn’t anyone’s fault; it’s just that other people have their own obligations too, and honestly, my expectations were not balanced by my efforts. But as I read before, disappointments sometimes humbles. The ass-kicking celebrations that I’ve seen my friends had (even though they hadn’t planned it) happened because they are such wonderful people and they truly deserve to be celebrated. I, on the other hand, have loads to learn =)

On a chirpier note, THANK GOD for Roya. The busy dinosaur (fyi, she’s not ancient but our friendship is) buddy of mine is free tonight! So my knight-ess in shining personality is going to come in her Nissan (probably) and take me out to dinner. She may not know it but she just made my otherwise emo day.

Of course, a very special thank you to the lovely bunch Yi Hueih, Seok Ping, Jacq, Matthew, Siew, Bear Bear, Siau Koon, Nicole and Shian for the candle-onna-Starbucks Muffin and very loud birthday song in Korean BBQ Chicken. The muffin was wholesome, larger than life and sweet – just like you all ^___^

P/S. I know I seem a little down after the lunch gathering yesterday. Sorry, I was just had some issues in my mind, and then more issues appeared, just to collide with my PMS, and thus explained why I’m still not smiling widely this morning. I love you guys and I love the muffin and the surprise for my ears.

Thanks Baby, too, for hugging me even when I made no sense and becomes an ugly case of emotional turbulence.


And for all my loved ones who are beside the sick beds of their beloved tonight, I pray that God shines his power and warmth on all of you. I hope your loved ones get well soon – physically, spiritually and mentally.

Anyone still up for celebrating me getting old? Valid even after 22nd June. So’s I can impart my eternal wisdom to those underage and reminiscent the hundredth time about the good ol’ days with those already ripe and old like me. Anyone not dying to meet me already must be outta their mind, or most likely, have better things to do.

In the meantime, do I qualify for a BirthWEEK (the longer and more shameless version of a BirthDAY) like the super-awesome and super-funny Lorelai Gilmore?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will celebrate with you on next week lar, i am coming back mar:) Are you sure that's not an cover-up excuse from Brian to give you a surprise party ar? :D

yh said...

>< and we were wondering whether u not happy coz it was only a muffin..
i hope everythgs ok now though...

teh ais limei said...

>> izzitlyh

aiyaa no lah :) Muffin was good~ Yeah everything is better now. Thanks ^^