Thursday, September 11, 2008

Phony me

I’m eating my own words – embarrassed, but secretly relishing it nonetheless.

When it comes to handphones, Nokia vibrates my world (Shit that sounds wrong. Oh well, a writer salvages whatever she assumes to border on being pun-ny, so bear with me). I loudly declare everywhere that Sony Ericsson is overrated, un-user friendly and seems to be made in a hurry. Then I will produce my vintage little number (a Nokia 1100, boasting a black-and-white screen that will soon be certified UN Heritage) and dares anyone to race me in retrieving a message. I’ve beaten Matthew so far and am now feeling incredibly boastful and egoistical.

Yes, this sworn nemesis of Sony Ericsson just wants to put a dent to its sales (ok lah even an egoistic me would admit that I won’t cause a dent lah. More like a nudge – by an ant).

Sayang and I used to bicker over whether SE or Nokia is more geng. I defended my vintage little number and its simple user-friendliness; while sayang will boast about how his SE camera capture awesome photos and blast crystal clear music and now…

Sayang wants to give me his old SE W810i.

He’s using his Dad’s Nokia N95.

The irony!

“Dowan la sell it lah get back the money lah give your mother lah,” I replied, brimming with sincerity and a nagging conscience.

A few hours later, the SE W810i’s screen is coated with a morbidly cheerful theme with maniacal monsters (one seems to be farting heart-shapes o.O).

It’s not my fault ok! Sayang said he don’t want to sell the phone because he would not get a good price for it, and it is still working perfectly. So, don’t waste right? And the theme is so morbidly happy that I can’t stop looking at it.

I still love Nokia though. If machines can understand people then my Nokia 1100 understands me. But of course, what do you expect after a five-year relationship? =) After playing with the SE for a while I realize that some of the functions are a little, sorry to say, idiotic. I mean, the alarm clock will automatically snooze itself ONCE you move the phone! It’s like saying “Oops sorry, I accidentally tried to wake you up. All’s good now. I'll quietly pretend that you don't have a class. Go back to sleep.” And it’ll snooze for 10 whole minutes! Wth??? I will sooooo late for class man. And then there are some minor frustrations here and there as well, which showed how much I took my Nokia for granted. The designers of the phone really thought through the whole process of how a phone will be used, and depended upon.

The same cannot be said for the newer generation Nokia, I guess, since Bryan seems to have complaints about his N95 too.

But heck, I’ll admit that the W810i has its great functions. The 2MP camera does its job well and the walkman sings wonderfully. AND MY THEME IS SO CUTE GAAAAH. Sorry *clears throat* can’t help it. I got a thing for nonsensical monsters.

Thanks, baby. I’ll take good care of your phone. And to my Nokia 1100, viva la vintage!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Humans make things too complicated. I just wish God can open up our eyes and let us see what truly matters. What that would truly make a difference. All we have is Him now to guide our steps.

Release what you hold to Him, for He is the one true Almighty. Stay strong, stay in love, stay positive.

Chin up.

3 comments:

Szetoo said...

nokia will rock and will always rock i tell ya. sony ericsson, err no comments hahaha.

but you're so chomel wan! the way you say your phone so cute!! :D

haih, now got camera phone edy woot!

Ithildin Galad said...

XD Lol!

I remember when I had my Nokia 6101 (damn cute too, at least for me) I was also die-hard Nokia-ist!

Then SE stole my heart with their cybershot phones....

Muahaha.

mimpiiii said...

NOKIA all d way BABEh!
i knw their pics can take damm nice all..but wats most important is d messaging..n nokia beats them all!
weeeeeeeeeeeee!!