Sunday, November 9, 2008

I'm alive and running.

Note: This is supposed to appear last week, but hehe was a bit slow in churning out the pics. Here ya go!

Note 2: Some pics, when seen in original size, can be grainy and blur. Pardon my shaky hands and faulty flash. =(


Confession: I love Sungai Wang.

Okay, now you can hit me over the head several times with those huge bright gold handbags with polka-dot ribbon thing.

Well, admittedly I don’t LOVE Sungai Wang. I particularly don’t love any bit of Sungai Wang that hung la-la clothing, which was pretty much the whole of Sungai Wang except the bit which hung that white summer dress I was drooling on. And that nice LBD. And that sexy green, cheongsam-inspired minidress. And another summer dress. And the smart-looking shirt-dress. And that funky belt. And those “70% SALES!” signs…

Wants and money-in-wallet imbalance = hormonal imbalance = more wants.

How do we put a stop to this vicious cycle? YOU can make a difference.
*Open wallet big big*

Go on, whack me over the head again, if it makes you feel better. I’m having such a massive headache that I probably won’t even notice.

* * *

Until recently, I’ve never ran a marathon in my life.

It was one of the many reasons why I still have a life.

I was never a runner. In school, my 400 meter run was a disaster. The 100 meter dash was better – it was a shorter disaster. If I had any stamina, I probably exhaust it dragging myself out of bed in the morning. If I run at all, I was probably catching up with my breath.

And goodness knows why I decided to join the Canon Photomarathon Asia. I mean, come on, a marathon is still a marathon even if it’s attached to the word photo! Just because one probably goes Photo
marathon Asia doesn’t mean there’s no footwork involved!

Well, thank goodness it’s probably the slowest marathon in the world.

I mean, we were given a couple of hours to walk from Timesquare to Pavillion, and another couple of hours from Pavillion to KLCC. And then back to Timesquare again. If you were busy looking for photo subjects all the way, you practically bump into your destination. I was like “WTF? Walk to KLCC?! Kanasaitamadesibatposibatkongchaofankungfuchao eh we sampai already wor.”

It was a hell lot of fun. Wearing the bright red Canon Photomarathon t-shirt gave me the license to shoot, with my cute little non-threatening Nikon compact camera. And I just literally take pictures right in front of people’s faces. It’s so funny, some actually posed! Some just smiled, some pretend you weren’t there and your camera was just an illusion, and an old ah pet on motorbike laughed at me and say “yeng meh? (“take what take?” in Cantonese).

Amused

Most people were polite. No one chased me with a mop. A few even tried to run away from me.



It's one breath-taking graffiti. Rebellion is beautiful.

This one confirm Malaysia.

Fortunately, this too, confirm Malaysia.
(The mural at the back was composed entirely from F&N cans!!!)


I just heart her bag. And her short pants. And her nonchalance when visiting Pavillion.

But after seeing this, my heart sank.

Old sweeties.



For irony's sake.


We are famous for our confusion-causing signs.
Topped with our Engrish, of course.




Meleleh.

Why do I get the "semangat terkobar-kobar" feeling watching him drink Milo?


Okay okay. So I have a thing for little girls in tudungs. And kids gobbling up their food. Sue me.

On second thought, please don't sue me. I'm perfectly straight, and I love big, strong guys.
*drags Sayang out*

Eh, that sounds wrong too.


Oh, and photographers make the best photo subjects.

We've got photogs who looked up.


We've got photogs who searched low.


We've got Malaysian-traffic (roughly translated as "death") defying photogs.


We've got hungry photogs.


We've got emo photogs.


We've got oblivious photogs.


We've got maverick photogs.


We've got selambe photogs.

We've got naughty photogs.
( I took a pic of the Pavillion manager telling the photog not to take pictures in the premise. The manager must have had a field day trying to restrain us from clicking our cameras.)
We've got sneaky photogs.

We've got lonely photogs *play er hu*

Oh, I didn’t win, of course. Else you would have heard me scream from Berjaya Timesquare. But it was good fun.

And I realized something – I LOVE photography, and no amount of blur, grainy pictures could refute that. Even if I went home empty-handed, and had to fork out RM15 to join the competition (because my little Nikon is not a bulky mean Canon XD), and had to wait for about 4 hours for the results, and had to be enveloped by idiotic smokers who thought that they can get away with puffing in the middle of a 1000 strong crowd, it was all worth it. I look back now, smiled and tell myself, “Blardy hell let’s do it again!”

And next time, I’ll stuff the idiot’s cigarettes into his DSLR. Pity (the DSLR), but necessary for the good of the common lungs.

And a great big thanks to Chew Mong for giving me free rides, and be my "voice" for the day. I was muted by my violent coughs that poor CM had to read my lips the whole day and helped me answer phone calls. Muaks!

**MORE PICS UP SOON IN MY DEVIANTART! ^^*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

u're most welcome for accompanied me to join such a big event..haha!! u're so pro in editing and hv quite strong sense in getting good angles ya~ now i realized how poor I am...*sigh*...must put in more effort lo! ^^

Anonymous said...

hey,

after seeing these pictures, i have only one thing to say: I think you are talented( at least this is my personal opinion), and your pictures touches hearts and souls. Not every pictures, but quite a few did:)
Although since young i always see you longster pikuster like that, but i wanna say that i am happy to see your talents are gorwing, first in writting and now in photgraphy ( still remember the first time you showed me your pictures- those scary over -exposed one), today, i am VERY proud of you:)

Save money for 2 things lar- travel and buy yourself a DSLR:)

teh ais limei said...

>> cm

Hehe thanks~ *shy* no lah i still got so much room for improvement. i wanna achieve non-blur pics man! we gambate together lor!

>> Sis pretending to be anonymous again

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DSLRRRRRRRRRRRR *becomes incredible hulk*

I've no idea why I just did that. Just feels appropriate. I think because when talking about DSLR my brain gets over-excited.

anyway, yay! thankiu for the nice compliments. good to know that I no longer take scary, over-exposed, everyone-look-like-mayat pics but that means my pics turn out grainy or blur since I don't use flash. My hands can be shaky =(

Esee said...

hm..speaking of races in school..cant remember anything bout that..well, the brain does shut down unpleasant memories..anyway..

i like your photos very mucho. you have a good eye for very very nicey pictures.

dont be humble. be proud of it!

say "AYE ROCKS!!!"

:P

teh ais limei said...

"AYE ROCKS!"

Nope, I still feel very humble. Especially after I go see pics from people like Szetoo Weiwen, I wanna yell "SHE ROCKS MORE!"

XD

Thanks you darling for the sweet comments anyway~ Hope you enjoyed the post. Muakz!