Monday, February 8, 2010

Jam-min' with meself

With zero idea on where I was going, I managed to find my way back from Bangsar Village.

Some of you may scoff, “So? Bangsar Village is an oxymoron! It’s in the middle of the city – a filthy rich one too! Who can get lost?”

And that, will determine if you actually know me well, or just accidentally stumbled into this blog despite the warning sign.

Oh wait, I never got around to putting that warning sign. I’ll just drop a quick one here.

Warning: Website may contain crap, which may develop into verbal diarrhea.

There, all obvious and legal.

Okay, back on topic, I found my way home! And yes, it’s such an achievement it totally deserve an exclamation mark! As all my lovely buddies have probably found out (to their misfortune), my sense of direction is, at its best, faulty. At its worst, all directions look like nonsense.

But behold the Malaysian road sign! It has not failed me for the umpteenth time now. I always manage to find my way back by following the road signs (if it’s not blocked by a tree).

True, they always take you through the most congested way, and perhaps even a huge detour. Like just now, I was taken through a huge circle to arrive at the National Museum way, and subsequently the Kuen Cheng school way, and basically it means I am stuck right in the middle of the KL rush hour traffic, with nothing but cheesy, overplayed hits blaring on the radio.

Except it doesn’t sound so cheesy anymore. I, err, may have even laughed in awe and sang to them – tunelessly, of course, and with all the rock-star impersonation I can muster while driving a manual car, to my credit.

But yeah, I actually relished the cleverly rhyming and sickly sweet lyrics of “Cupid Chokehold” by Gym Class Heroes, wholeheartedly belted out “Here in my Home” with all the brilliant Malaysian artistes, screamed to Aerosmith’s “Jaded” with all the facial effort, and bopped my head extra hard to a community message/song on the importance of saving water (hey, the lyrics were pretty smart ok! There was some honest ingenuity going on there, without the whole engineered pretentiousness of modernized community messages).

I also kept my hands on the steering wheel, checked my rear view mirror every five minutes and wore my seat belt, in case anyone is wondering. And carefully avoiding the worried gazes from neighboring drivers.

Heck, the traffic jam was fun. Which is worrying. Is my life is so hectic these days that the only solo time I have for myself is during a road congestion? Am I so deprived of entertainment these days that the best things in life are the same things that I used to hate (except Here in my Home, of course)?

If yes, who cares? I found my way home, had a good laugh and perhaps, let a lot of things go today – which is more than what can be said for most days.

4 comments:

Hafutota no JE said...

one way to enjoy a traffic jam much, much more: create a CD with the very best songs, especially musical ones, and play it when you know you're stuck.

then start singing. Like you're on screen. like you're Sweeney Todd with a razor to a person's neck, or like you're On the Street Where She Lives, or like you're Nicole Kidman in the arms of Ewan Mcgregor, come what may.

Then watch other people's reactions. Best show on earth.

Anonymous said...

Eh like i said, just make sure your petrol full tank lar and have at least RM 50 in the wallet and your cellphone batt is ok lar, like that even you hilang to Seremban also no problem lar. Just that Bulayan will get like 300 calls from you before you finally know your way home lar har.

mimpiiii said...

its da same case for me! i enjoy my solo karaoke in da car... its good cuz nobody has to suffer and i have an awesome time! wish i had cd player in da car tho..then i can chooose me fav songs! ah jams arent all that bad when u're not rushing to go somewhere :)

teh ais limei said...

>> Jee
Ah, judging by how curiosity kills smooth traffic in Malaysia, won't being so musically expressive cause more traffic jams? It's such a chicken and egg situation... hmmm...

>> Sis
You would want me to hilang to Penang, won't you =D

>> rOya
Hahaha we should drive next to each other next time! Then we can have a showdown of the songs we used to be crazy over in high school.